Saturday, October 10, 2009

God is My Treasure

We had Spiritual Emphasis Week at SCS just this past week...always amazing at how He just does whatever it is He needs to do, in spite of our plans, worries, doubts. So much bigger than that.

A lot of rich, good stuff, but the one thing I'm left with is what Doug Janssen spoke about - God is our Treasure, not our Treasurer.

That is such a bottom line truth that answers a lot of questions. So many challenges in our lives come from what God did or didn't do for us. We get mad because He didn't watch over our 'stuff' (i.e. relationships, dreams, plans, possessions, loved ones, etc) the way we thought He should.

Not that He isn't sympathetic to our feelings, but somewhere in all that emotion (I'm totally guilty of it myself), could it be that maybe those things became our treasure, instead of God?

We sing the songs so easily - 'You're all I want, You're all I need, You're everything...everything' ... 'There is no one else for me, none but Jesus...now I live to bring you praise...'

I think at some time or another, God will take us at our word. 'Really? Am I? Everything? ... Really? No one else? Live to bring Me praise?'

Not that He is being mean or arrogant. At all. It only hurts us when we put that much faith in anyone or anything but Him. Maybe He allows us to lose those things to show us what we truly have treasured?

But I loved the bottom line of it... if we can grasp that truth - God is our Treasure, not our Treasurer. He is what is most precious. Even if He's not in our actuality, He is in reality. He truly is what is most valuable. Not because He is prideful, but because He actually is.

We can get a lot of mileage out of that simple truth.

2 comments:

The Redhead Riter said...

"He is in reality"

People do not remember this...and it is so hard to trust him

Anonymous said...

Hi! I saw yourNew Year's resolution on jdaniels4's blog! It said you want to stop your negative thinking and I had a suggestion. That's a good enough thing to say but an affirmation that is more supportive would be "I commit to thinking positive all the time!" Or something like that. Instead of saying what you don't want, say what you do want! (I heard the universe doesn't recognize negatives)

Much love
Shannon
http://www.findingshannon.com